Origin of the name Naremburn is unknown, but is attributed to either the aboriginal words ‘narra burren’ for ‘forked creek’, or the Scottish ‘near a burn’. The park is a Crown Land reserve. It was originally part of a 140-acre dedication for public recreation in 1869, with Willoughby Council as the Trustee.
Sixteen 6m high solar powered lights were installed in 2009 which define the park boundaries, and also follow the path of the planned circuit track providing unobtrusive illumination for walkers. A solar collector at the top of each light charges a battery providing approximately 12 hours of lighting, and a sensor switches the lights on and off according to the ambient light levels.
Mosaic inlays by Suzie Bleach decorate the path next to the railway line which forms part of “Wilksch Walk” (St Leonards Station to Tunks Park).
The playground is “leafy” with leaf seats, leaf impressions in the pathway and leaf shaped lawns.
The park is located 800m from train and bus stops. There is off street parking on Park Rd and next to the top oval at the continuation of Frances St. There is on street parking along Station St and Dalleys Rd.
Further information on Naremburn Park is available int he Naremburn Park Masterplan.