Council's requirements for fences surrounding a property are intended to keep the style and size of front and side fencing compatible with the rest of the streetscape while still providing privacy and security.

The relevant development controls are listed in the Willoughby Development Control Plan.

Exempt and complying development

Visit the NSW Planning Portal to find out if you meet the exempt or complying development criteria for fences.

If your development does not meet either criteria then you need to consult the relevant part of the WDCP for your property's zoning and make application to Council.

For advice, call Council on 9777 1000 between 8:30am-10am or 1pm-4:30pm weekdays to speak to a Building Surveyor or Planner.

Dividing fences

For enquiries about dividing fences (situated between two private properties or your property and the road), you will need to consult the Dividing Fences Act.

Disputes over dividing fences are considered a civil matter and parties ought to seek advice from a Community Justice Centre, Local Lands Board, or the Local Court (not Willoughby Council).