Complying Development

From 1 January 2021, Council only accepts online applications via the Department of Planning, Industry & Environment (DPIE)’s ePlanning Portal.

Please do not post/lodge your hard-copy applications to Council.

Complying Development is a combined planning and construction approval process for straightforward or low-impact developments that comply with pre-set criteria under the State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) which can be fast-tracked and determined by a Council or private certifier without needing a full Development Application (DA).

To qualify as Complying Development, you must satisfy all of the development standards identified in SEPP (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 or/and Part 2, Division 2 and Schedule 1 of SEPP (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 (for 'secondary dwellings' only; or known as 'granny flat'.)

If you decide to choose Council for making your CDC Application, please proceed below to: 

Lodge a CDC/Modify a CDC (s4.30)

For more information on online CDC on the Department of Planning, Industry & Environment website.

Frequently Asked Questions

What CDC fees are payable?

Contact Council's Help and Services staff on 9777 1000 who can help you with fee estimates for Council to act as an Accredited Certifier and/or Principal Certifiying Authority. Written quotations can also be provided. Our rates are competitive and inspections can be done on minimal notice.

What if all the detailed design work is not yet finished?

You may find that all information you need is not available at the time you apply, e,g. structural, mechanical or hydraulic designs may not yet be finalised.

When the detail is not available, you can state in the specification your intent to comply with requirements by identifying the specific clauses in the BCA and Australian standards, codes or other documents, with a brief description of the how you propose to comply with each.

Once issued, can a Complying Development Certificate be altered?

Yes, Section 4.30 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act allows for modification. The application and assessment process is the same as for the original application.

Can conditions be applied to a Complying Development Certificate?

Yes, but only those specified by the regulations and the relevant State Environmental Planning Policy.

What is a fire safety schedule?

A fire safety schedule is a list specifying the fire safety measures (both current and proposed) that should be implemented in the building premises. It relates to commercial, industrial and multi unit development.

When is a Structural Engineer required to do inspections of the building?

A Structural Engineer is required to certify aspects of the building when there is a structural variation to the approved plans and details, or on large scale development.

When can I get my security deposit back from Council?

If you paid any damage deposits, for example, a footpath damage deposit, Council will arrange to have the deposit refunded provided there is no damage to Council's infrastructure and all work has been completed.