Microchipping and registration

By law, you must microchip and register your cat or dog. A vet or animal welfare organisation can do this for you. You will also need to pay a lifetime registration fee.

Microchip your pet

Your dog or cat must be chipped by 12 weeks of age for lifetime identification. 

Vets, animal welfare organizations and other authorised people can microchip your cat or dog. Some vets and animal welfare organisations offer discount rates on microchipping, so shop around for the best price.

Register your pet

Your dog or cat must be registered with any local Council by six months of age.

The registration price is a once-only payment and the fees help Council provide pounds services, rangers, dog refuse bins and other pet facilities.

Register Now

To transfer your pet to a new owner, log in to the NSW Pet Registry and follow the prompts under "My Pets".

Keep us updated

It is important that pet owners advise their local Council:

  • if and when you move house;
  • if there are changes to your contact details, for example your mobile phone number;
  • if you transfer ownership of your pet
  • if your pet passes away 

If you have registered online on NSW Pet Registry website, you will be able to updated your information online. otherwise you can always contact us.

There is no charge to update this information on the NSW Companion Animals Register. However, if you fail to notify your local council or you knowingly give false or misleading information, you could be penalised up to $880 or $5,500 for a restricted dog or a declared dangerous dog.

For further information visit the Office of Local Government website.