• Park Muston Park
  • Location Penshurst Street, Chatswood
  • Facilities

    BBQ facilitiesHistorical or cultural featurePark benchPicnic tablePlay equipmentPublic artToilets

Area: 20,186m² (2.0186 ha)

Muston Park is named after William Thomas Muston, the original owner of the land and Mayor of Willoughby 1890. His home ‘Penshurst’ stood in the middle of the land which was subdivided and sold in 1921. In 1926 the Council purchased the land from Joseph Knight Smith, owner of Willoughby Hotel, and created a public park. The ‘Penshurst’ entry gates were re-located to Willoughby Park.

The Park is located at the transition between Hawkesbury Sandstone and Wianamatta Shale soils. It would once have supported Blue Gum High Forest, but no remnants of the original canopy are left. The oldest trees in the park, which are located near the amenities block, include a Camphor Laurel, two Bunya Pines, a Moreton Bay Fig and an Oak, which may date back to the 1880s when Muston Park was part of a pleasure ground known as Royal Park.

Rex Hazlewood (a Sydney nurseryman) drew a plan for park improvements in 1952. Three elements of that plan are now features of the park:

  • The ring of Spotted Gums on the northern side of the creek which he named the King George VI Memorial Grove
  • The ring of Lemon Scented Gums south of the creek which he named the Queen Elizabeth II Grove
  • The Wisteria Walk

The park can be accessed from Penshurst Street, Eden Street, Douglas Avenue and Warrah Street. A shared use cycling/pedestrian path links Penshurst Street and Douglas Avenue.

Park Masterplan

The Muston Park Masterplan was adopted by Council 25 July 2011 as the guiding document for future recreational use and landscape development.