• Park King Park
  • Location Garrick Ln, Northbridge NSW 2063
  • Facilities

    Park bench


The park land was part of an area granted to James French in 1856, which was subdivided in 1905 as the Tableland Estate. Several lots were further subdivided in 1923-24, and a brick cottage was built on the park block in 1924. The house had several different owners in following years, and was named “Kelrose” at one stage. The block was sold to commercial interests in the late 1970s, and was sold to Council in 1984. Willoughby City Council acknowledges the Cammeraygal people as the traditional inhabitants of the area.

The park was upgraded in 2011-12 following community consultation. Landmark Landscape Consultants designed the upgraded park, and won the 2012 Australian Institute of Landscape Designers & Managers award for best public area landscape. As part of the project, the Northbridge Progress Association suggested the park be named “King Park” after brothers Bill, Norm and Noel King who operated market gardens at three sites in Harden Avenue during the 1930s and 40s, including on the site of what is now the Northbridge Plaza carpark. As well as honouring this local family, the name acknowledges the importance of market gardening as part of the local history of Northbridge.

Features and facilities in the park now include garden beds, lawn areas, small deciduous trees, a clear, wide footpath and gently ramp to facilitate access for all through the park, park benches and a “sitting wall” and bubbler.