Area: 4.4307 ha
Named after William Gore (1765–1845), Irish free settler and NSW Provost – Marshal. He was granted 150 acres from the present day St Leonards to Artarmon Railway Station. The park is a Crown Land reserve. It was originally part of a 140-acre dedication for public recreation in 1869, with Willoughby Council as the Trustee. By 1928 both cricket and football were being played on a levelled playing field with a concrete cricket pitch. The pavilion containing change-rooms, toilets and meeting room was built in 1988.
There are some remnants of the site’s original Blue Gum High Forest vegetation community in the northern and western areas of the park, including Turpentine (Syncarpia glomulifera), Blackbutt (E.pilularis), White Stringybark (E. globoidea), Red Mahogany (E. resinifera), Ironbark (E .paniculata) and Sydney Red Gum (Angophora costata)
This park is currently being redeveloped as part of Stage 1 works and is closed for the construction period. The exercise equipment in the park near the corner of Reserve Road and Pacific Highway, St Leonards remains open to the public during the construction period.
Stage 1 works include.
- Re-aligning the existing oval and installing a synthetic playing surface with cricket wicket
- The construction of a regional playground, associated outdoor ball courts and outdoor gym
- The construction of a perimeter walking track
- Public domain works to facilitate access and public spaces
- The installation of an on-site storm water detention system
- The construction of a modular building including pavilion, change rooms and toilet facilities
- Upgrading and re-aligning the Southern car park.
Stage 1 is currently underway and due for completion on 8 March 2019 and Stage 2 is planned works for the future. Further information on Gore Hill Park Redevelopment is available in the following documents.
Further information on Gore Hill Park is available in the following documents: