Composting & Worm Farming
Composting, worm farming or using a bokashi bin are ideal ways to turn unavoidable food scraps into nutrient-rich fertiliser for your garden.
You can buy subsidised composting systems (including on-line tutorials and troubleshooting guides) through The Compost Revolution.
If you do not have the space or the capacity to set up a worm farm or compost bin, the Sharewaste site might be of interest.
It connects people who wish to compost their kitchen scraps with their neighbours who are already composting, worm-farming or keeping chickens.
Pet Waste Composting
The benefits of using a composting system to deal with your pet waste are:
- a reduction in the number of plastic bags you use
- the diversion of pet waste away from landfill
- a simple no-fuss system that eliminates odour
- it is a discreet inground system – only the lid is above ground level
- it returns carbon and microbes to the soil and helps enrich your garden
Council is subsidising the cost of the pet waste systems (including free delivery) through the Compost Revolution Website.