Child and school zone safety
Safety around schools
40 km/h school zones help protect children on their way to and from schools at the times and places where they are often in high numbers. The lower speed limit reduces the risk and potential severity of a crash. School zone signs, ‘dragon’s teeth’, painted ‘40’ road markings and flashing lights improve the visibility of school zones.
Increased fines and demerit points apply to certain school zone offences.
Back to school safety tips have been prepared by Transport for New South Wales to help you make safe decisions around schools. These are available in a number of languages.
Road safety resources available to schools
Willoughby City Council is able to provide local schools with free road safety resources to share with their parent and carer communities.
These resources can be downloaded and printed at your convenience or used in electronic communications and newsletters.
- School Zone Road Safety News - Term 1 2022(PDF, 788KB)
- Parking safely in school zones brochure(PDF, 299KB)
- Parking safely in school zones web tiles(PDF, 339KB)
- Parking and traffic rules in school zones A4 sheet (English)(PDF, 1MB)
- Parking and traffic rules in school zones A4 sheet (Korean)(PDF, 669KB)
- Parking and traffic rules in school zones A4 sheet (Chinese)(PDF, 478KB)
- Hatfield Street Wombat Crossing, Lane Cove North(PDF, 161KB)
- Keary Street Wombat Crossing, Willoughby(PDF, 143KB)
- Hampden Road Wombat Crossing, Artarmon(PDF, 221KB)
For more information please contact Council’s Road Safety Officer on 9777 7735 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child car seats and restraints
Whenever children are in a car, they must be safely fastened in the correct child car seat or restraint for their age and size. A child who is properly secured in an approved child car seat or restraint is less likely to be injured or killed in a car crash than one who is not.
Find out more on child restraints and authorised fitters near you.
Child Car Seat Voucher Program
We run a free child car seat and restraint checking voucher program for Willoughby residents and rate payers. Parents and carers can have their child car seats and restraints checked for safety by an authorised restraint fitter.
Voucher applications are now closed due to high volume of applicants. The voucher program will resume in the new financial year.