Pedestrian safety milestone achieved with a dozen wombat crossings
Published on 27 July 2022
Willoughby City Council has delivered a significant boost to pedestrian safety with the completion of a program delivering 12 new raised and marked crossings, known as Wombat Crossings, near schools throughout Willoughby.
During July, the Council completed the final crossing under the School Children Safety Wombat Crossing Program.
This crossing, at Rohan Street near Willoughby Road in Naremburn, enables a safer trip for Naremburn pedestrians, including students from nearby Naremburn School.
The Rohan St crossing, and another crossing at Hampden Road, Artarmon, creates a new right of way for pedestrians, so motorists now need to give way to pedestrians crossing the road at these locations.
A further ten existing zebra pedestrian crossings were upgraded to raised wombat crossings at suburbs including Willoughby, Lane Cove North, Chatswood, Castle Cove and Castlecrag. By creating raised crossings, motorist speed is reduced and therefore pedestrian safety enhanced.
Willoughby City Mayor Tanya Taylor said the safety and wellbeing of school children and pedestrians was a high Council priority.
“Parents in Willoughby now have better piece of mind knowing their children can cross the road to school with fewer risks, as will other pedestrians,” Mayor Taylor said.
“These crossings are clearly marked and impossible to miss, serving as a reminder to motorists to slow down when necessary.
“The crossings help us to deliver a walkable, active Willoughby, helping pedestrians to enjoy the health and social benefits of walking, while easily accessing our local centres.”
Early evidence shows the crossings have bolstered road safety with both motorists and pedestrians recognising the traffic calming measures.
Council received $1.95 million under the Federal Government’s School Children Safety Wombat Crossing Program.
Wombat crossings built or upgraded under this program since May 2021 include:
- High Street at Bedford Street, North Willoughby
- Hampden Road, north of Barton Road, Artarmon
- Merrenburn Avenue at Willoughby Road, Naremburn
- Hatfield Street between Mowbray Road & Farran Street Lane Cove North
- Kirk Street at Archer Street, Chatswood
- Keary Street at Eaton Street, Willoughby
- Keary Street, south of Oakville Road, Willoughby
- Rohan Street at Willoughby Road, Naremburn
- Kendall Road between Holly Street and Rosebridge Avenue, Castle Cove
- Kendall Road, south of Holly Street, Castle Cove
- Edinburgh Road between The Parapet and Edith Street, Castlecrag
- Westbourne Street, east of Pacific Highway, St Leonards
Photo caption: The last of 12 wombat crossings was completed at Rohan Street near Willoughby Road at Naremburn last week.