We will ensure that every complaint is received courteously before being investigated and acted on quickly and appropriately.

Making a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint, you may lodge it in writing, over the phone or in person

Post Post to Willoughby City Council, PO Box 57, Chatswood, NSW, 2057
Phone 02 9777 1000
In person Customer Service Centre

Your complaint should include your name, address and telephone number, as well as a detailed description of your complaint. You may, however, opt for your name and personal details to remain confidential. 

Complaints process

When a complaint is received it is forwarded to the Public Officer who will co-ordinate the investigation and response. It will be recorded in a Complaints Register, and an acknowledgement letter detailing what procedures will be following shall be sent. You should receive the acknowledgement letter in three days.

The complaint will then be sent to the appropriate Unit Manager, Director, Chief Executive Officer or Mayor for investigation. Serious complaints will be copied to the Chief Executive Officer immediately.

  • Complaints involving corruption or Pecuniary/Conflict of Interest will be referred to the Chief Executive Officer.
  • Complaints relating to Councillors will be referred to the Chief Executive Officer who will consult with the Mayor.
  • Complaints against the Chief Executive Officer will be sent to the Mayor.
  • Complaints relating to Competitive Neutrality will be referred to the Customer and Corporate Director. They will also be reported in Council’s Annual Report.

The person responsible for the investigation will research the circumstances of the complaint, interview staff if necessary, and prepare a report for the Public Officer including:

  • A statement of legitimacy of the complaint
  • A recommendation for action
  • If appropriate, a suggested remedy to prevent similar future complaints.

This investigation will take five days.

The Public Officer will then prepare a response to the complaint based on the findings of the investigation. This will be completed in ten days.

Any instance of corrupt conduct should be referred to the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC).

If you feel that you are not satisfied with the action taken as a result of your complaint, or your complaint is extremely serious, you can refer your complaint to the: