Area: 6.22 ha (including sportsground and bushland)
Castlecove was the name given by Walter Burley Griffin to the most northern of the three Middle Harbour peninsulas on which he purchased land in 1920. The name reflects the prominence of Innisfallen Castle built in 1904 on the south-east point overlooking Middle Harbour. The park was created by dedication and by purchase when Council approved the Deepwater No 6 Subdivision in 1953. The park pavilion is named after Laurence Frederick McGinty MBE (1921-91), local resident activist, Middle Harbour Ward Alderman 1957-68, Mayor 1960-67 and Member of Parliament for Willoughby 1968-78.
The perimeter path around the oval is named after James Ernest White (1930-2016) a long standing Castle Cove Resident, member of Castle Cove Progress Association, Council’s National Heritage and Bushland Advisory Committee and founding President of the Castle Cove Environment Association.
The fenced playground includes a slide, spinner, rocker, swings and giant frog sculpture.
There is a bus stop at Kendall Street which is 500m from the park entrance. Off street parking is available.
The Park acts as an important ecological corridor within a continuous chain of bushland reserves along the foreshores of Middle Harbour. It is important for the movement of wildlife from north-south and is in close proximity to Garigal National Park. Significant species like bandicoots, lyrebirds, and swamp wallabies utilise the Park to pass from the national park through to Willoughby. The Park also connects with two Wildlife Protection Areas: H.D. Robb Reserve to the north-east and North Arm Reserve to the south via Castle Cove Golf Course.
Castle Cove Park, Holly Street, Castle Cove 2069 View Map
Castle Cove Park, Holly Street ,
Castle Cove 2069
Castle Cove Park
Oval area only. Surrounding bushland, children's play area and barbecue areas are prohibited. The oval is unavailable as an off-leash area when being used for sport.
Only between 3pm-11am