Our pedagogical philosophy principles are intertwined to represent our visions, values and practices for our children, families as well as the wider community.
Viewing children as capable and competent
- We have a strong image of the child and childhood; we identify children’s strengths, interests and dispositions by engaging with them and working with their families.
- We support children’s voices and opinions and enable them to feel valued.
- We support children to develop their self-image as competent and confident learners.
- We acknowledge children’s rights for learning at Devonshire Street as well as the wider community; and we embrace children’s everyday discoveries.
Responsible and transformative practice as educators
- We endeavour to take children’s learning journeys with them by working collaboratively and reflecting on our own professional values and practice.
- We use listening as our pedagogical practice and we value children’s views and ideas about the world.
- We provide children with support, guidance and nurturing so that they grow to be competent and strong learners.
- We build respectful and mutually trusting relationships with children and families to achieve shared goals.
Learning environments where space meets nature, culture and future
- We value the environment as a significant learning space and we are committed to building a safe and stimulating leanr ing space.
- We plan and reflect on learning experiences for children.
- A sustainable future is our shared vision, so that we nurture children to be responsible for their own environment by implementing sustainable practices.
- Our learning environment represents and reflects the cultures and diversity from our local community as well as wider society.
Play as learning and discovery
- Play is at the centre of our pedagogical curriculum and we provide children with a range of play experiences which expand their thinking and development.
- We are here to advocate children’s play as lifelong opportunities.
- Children have the right to play and to explore the world around them.
- We acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we live, play and learn. We recognise the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, their culture and history.
- Devonshire Street strongly values working with children and families who come from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- We are committed to providing all families with quality education and care.
- We are committed to actively contributing to local groups and our sector by developing professional networks and our own professional development.
- We believe working in partnership is central to our practice; and we strive to develop strong partnerships with families and extended community groups.
- We value our community as an extended learning environment.
- We continuously seek learning opportunities for children’s learning within the community.