Neighbourhood Noise

Noise disturbances are controlled under the provisions of the Protection of the Environment Operations (POEO) Act 1997.

Dealing with Neighbourhood Noise

Refer to the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) website for guidelines on neighbourhood noise (including permissible hours) and advice on dealing with offensive noise.

If you are unable to resolve the matter by using the recommended methods, more formal action may be taken by contacting Council and providing the following information:

  • Time, date and duration of the noise
  • Details of the type and sound of the noise
  • Details of the likely noise source
  • Your contact details

Council will not investigate anonymous complaints.

Permissible Hours

To enable people to use and maintain their properties, an understanding has been reached for certain acceptable domestic noise. Certain items may only be used outside the permissible hours if they are not heard within a habitable room of an affected residence. Even operating within the permissible hours, restrictions can be placed on the use of these articles if they cause offensive noise.

Noise Source

Permissible Hours

Power tools and equipment, including powered garden tools, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, electric or pneumatic tools, chainsaws or circular saws, compressors etc. 7am - 8pm, Monday - Saturday
8am - 8pm Sundays & Public Holidays
Swimming pool and spa pumps 7am - 8pm, Monday - Saturday
8am - 8pm Sundays & Public Holidays
Amplified sound equipment, including radio, TV, hi-fi etc. 8am - midnight, any friday, Saturday or day immediately before a pulic holiday
8am - 10pm on any other day
Domestic air conditioners 7am - 10pm, weekdays
8am - 10pm Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays
Motor vehicles, except when entering and leaving residential premises 7am - 8pm, Monday - Saturday
8am - 8pm Sundays & Public Holidays
Refrigeration units fitted to vehicles 7am - 8pm, Monday - Saturday
8am - 8pm Sundays & Public Holidays

Night Time Music or Party Noise

Disturbances of excessive noise from parties at night, where Council Rangers are unavailable, should be directed to the Local Police. Authorised officers can issue Noise Abatement Directions if they are satisfied that the level of noise is obtrusive and offensive. A person to whom a Noise Abatement Direction has been given must not, without reasonable excuse, while the direction remains in force:

  • fail to cause the emission of the offensive noise from the premises to cease promptly
  • at any time within 28 days following the time at which the direction was given cause or permit offensive noise to be emitted from the premises

Commercial Premises

Most commercial operations are required to comply with noise requirements (in accordance with the NSW Industrial Noise Policy) under their respective development consents for the use of the property.