Named after Edward Lloyd Sanders (1888-1943), Member of Parliament for Willoughby 1927-1943. The land was acquired from William Wilson and John Hunter of Willoughby in 1929, and developed as a local park and playground. Access to the park is from Julian Street or from the small carpark between Borlaise Street and the SE corner of the park.
Landscape improvements work was completed in 2009 following community consultation. A wide, tinted, textured concrete path now winds through the centre of the park improving access and making traversing the park in wet weather more comfortable. Five Ornamental Pear trees (Pyrus calleryana Chanticleer) line the path, which will provide Autumn foliage colour and Spring blossoms. There are also new paths to and around the playspace. Improvements were also made to the passive recreation areas in the form of new seating, picnic settings, bubbler and plantings. Some of the new picnic settings and seats are located next to the pathways.
New softfall, swings, a climbing net, climbing wall, climbing bars, spinners, slides and trike track have been installed in the playground, and there is an open grassy area for ball games, running about and picnics. The playground is shaded by established trees, and there are both sunny and shady areas in other sections of the park.
Two advanced Silver Elms (Ulmus procera “Argenteo-variegata”) were planted. These two deciduous trees were originally growing in Chatswood Mall, but had to be removed to make way for the Chatswood Station work.
The park forms part of a pedestrian link between Julian Street, Borlaise Street and Gorman Street, and Julian Street is identified as a “useful” cycling street in walking and cycling guides. There is one carspace reserved for people with disabilities in the Borlaise St carpark, and a smooth path from the carpark into the park. Bus stops are located nearby at the corner of Frenchs and Willoughby Roads, and near the corner of Julian Street and Willoughby Road.