The market garden on this site was one of 6 gardens located between Eastern Valley Way and Alpha Road from 1880 to 1950. The garden was farmed by a group of Chinese gardeners, who regularly carried vegetables in baskets around local streets to sell to residents.
The garden continued until 1949 and was one of the last market gardens in Willoughby.
Market Garden Park is an important recreational and ecological link that connects Flat Rock Gully (south) to Castlecrag (north-east). A shared path through the reserve allows cyclists and pedestrians to travel between these areas. A new traffic light on Eastern Valley Way allows easy access to Warners Park. From Warners Park, a bush track links up to the Sailors Bay track providing further access to Castlecrag and beyond to other Willoughby bushland reserves.
The playground was constructed in 2018. Artistic features of the playground which reference the horticultural history of the site include sandstone vegetable sculptures carved by Mark Fallone and carved timber balance beams in the shape of carrots and beans in the sandpit.
The playground features a continuous rubber soft-fall surface which enables connection to accessible elements such as the spinner with 2 deep seats and the large dome climbing frame with interactive musical panels.
Market Garden Park entrance is 60m from the bus stop on Eastern Valley Way. There is street parking located on Kingsmeadow Close, Mowbray Place and Garden Place which are all adjacent to the park.
A wide, smooth shared use connection path for walking/jogging and cycling provides a link between Eastern Valley Way and Foundation Place.