Beauchamp Park is situated in the upper park of the Scotts Creek sub-catchment.
Fauna sightings at Beauchamp Park include possums, flying foxes, skinks, lizards, and a wide variety of bird species.
Many developments have occurred at the site during the last 150 years. The area was heavily wooded when clearing first began in 1864. Early uses were for farming and a slaughteryard (1864-1896) before it was purchased by the government and proclaimed a public park in 1899. Further clearing occurred, and both native and exotic trees and shrubs were planted but the drainage works, levelling construction of the oval, pavilion and other facilities didn’t occur until the late 1920s. The pavilion was expanded and the “International Grove” was constructed in 1965. In 1982 the National Trust of Australia (NSW) classified the Urban Conservation Area of North Chatswood describing Beauchamp Park as the “square” which is the focus of the townscape. New playground equipment was officially opened in 1999 and new toilets were recently built on the pavilion.
The park is shady and cool, containing a significant number of large old remnant trees from the original Blue Gum High Forest vegetation growing in the fertile clay soils produced by Wianamatta Shale landscapes. A number of original trees remain in the lower half of Beauchamp Park, including Blackbutt (Eucalyptus pilularis), Turpentine (Syncarpia glomulifera), White Stringybark (E. globoidea), Red Mahogany (E. resinifera), E. acmenoides (White Mahogany), Grey Ironmark (E. paniculata), and Sydney Red Gum (Angophora costata) which link the park to its natural heritage. Other trees are a mixture of native and exotic species. Understorey species are exotic including azaleas, magnolias, camellias and rhododendrons. The Phoenix Palms along Nicholson Street, the conifers along the western boundary, the rose garden and the garden beds of camellias, azaleas, magnolias and other exotics probably date from the late 1920s when the oval and grandstand were first constructed or shortly after.
The carpark at the upper section of Beauchamp Park has room for approximately 15-18 cars and is accessed from Nicholson Street. It is close to the sportsground, and linked to the playground and picnic area by a long continuous path. There is on street parking in Darling Street which is adjacent to the playground and picnic area, and on street parking in Rose Street which is adjacent to the rose garden.
The closest train station to the park is Chatswood Station, approximately 10-15 minutes walk away. Buses run along nearby Victoria Avenue, Ashley Street and Archer Street. The bicycle route which links the CBD with Archbold Rd and East Chatswood cuts diagonally across Beauchamp Park along the existing shared bicycle/pedestrian path.
Restoration of Spring Gardens
Restoration of the 24 Spring Gardens beds beside the main pathway (an adopted Masterplan recommendation) was completed in 2010.
Strong community support was received for retaining the existing garden bed layout and revitalizing the plantings. Several residents who have lived next to the park for many years recalled the range of plants that were originally growing in the beds, and how the park was popular for family and community events. The garden beds probably date from the late 1920s when the oval and grandstand were first constructed or shortly after.
Classic hardy familiar plants such as Camellias, Azaleas and Magnolias form the framework of the beds, under a canopy of Eucalypts. Work has included consulting specialist Camellia growers to identify existing species, and suggest particularly strong growing and attractive varieties for the new plantings. Soil and light levels were tested, beds have been numbered, a major rejuvenating prune was carried out, and the efficiency of the irrigation system has been improved. More information is available in the Camellia Identification Report (558.91 KB).
The new plants are a range of carefully selected appropriate species which are colourful, drought tolerant shrubs and groundcovers consistent with the theme of the original heritage plantings.