Heritage Plaques

Gore Hill Cemetary

Pacific Highway, St Leonards (main gate)

Originally dedicated on 19 May 1868, the Cemetery covers around 5.7 hectares. The first known burial was in 1877 but earlier monuments are to be found, transferred here from Devonshire Street Cemetery. Planned as a formal Victorian-Edwardian landscape garden, and enclosed by mature evergreen trees, the Cemetery exhibits a wide variety of plantings and many fine examples of the stonemason’s art. The Cemetery was closed to burials in 1974. A Memorial Garden for the placement of ashes was established in 1991. The site was declared an historic cemetery in 1986 and is listed on the State Heritage Register.