Rate Information

How to pay:

  • Direct debit
  • BPAY - biller code 18424
  • Online:
  • Phone 13 18 16 (Australia Post) - credit card and debit card accepted
  • In person at Council's Help and Service Centre or any Post Office or Commonwealth Bank branch
  • Post a cheque to Willoughby City Council, PO Box 57, Chatswood NSW 2057
When are Council rates due?
What do Council rates pay for?
Pensioner rebates
Self-funded retirees
Having difficulty meeting your rate payments?

When are Council rates due?

Annual rate notices are issued in July, with payment due by:

  • 31 August if you are paying in full. or
  • 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May if you choose to pay quarterly.

If you pay quarterly, your notices will be issued a month before each due date.

What do Council rates pay for?

Rates are used to fund essential infrastructure and services such as:

  • helping to maintain parks and recreation facilities, roads, footpaths, street lighting, and sporting and health facilities 
  • providing library and community services, building control and town planning, environmental planning and conservation, street cleaning, city rangers, pest control and much more.

Further information is available from the NSW Office of Local Government.

Pensioner rebates

Pensioners may be eligible for a rebate on council rates. To be eligible:

If you become an eligible pensioner during the year, your rebate will commence from the next quarterly billing period. Or if you are no longer eligible, your rebate will stop at the end of the current quarterly billing period.

pdf format Pensioner Concession Application

Self-funded retirees

You may be eligible for Council’s reduced cost self-funded retiree domestic waste service. Residents must meet all of the following conditions to be eligible:

  • own the property
  • have lived within the Willoughby Council area for the past 15 years
  • reside in the property as the sole or principal place of abode
  • be aged 70 years or older
  • hold a current Commonwealth Seniors Health Card as at 1st July of the current rating year.

Applications open July 1, 2020

Having difficulty meeting your rate payments?

If you are having difficulty meeting your rate payments, please contact Council’s Rates Department

to make alternative payment arrangements.