2017 Media Releases
Family Fun at Vivid Sydney at Chatswood 2017
22 May 2017
Vivid Sydney at Chatswood’s family friendly offerings return from 26 May to 17 June, featuring a special daytime installation at Chatswood Chase Sydney, night time installations open from the earlier time of 5.30pm, robotics and lantern making workshops, and plenty of easily accessible, interactive installations and dining options.
Light Bounce at Chatswood Chase Sydney will welcome the youngest of Vivid-goers with a fun daytime experience. Visitors small and tall will be immersed in the light of a forest of totems adorned with colourful patterns and reflections. The installation is open during centre trading hours (9.30am - 5.30pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and until 9pm on Thursdays; and 9am to 5pm on Weekends), with the best parking to see the installation on level one or two of the Chatswood Chase Sydney car park.
Chatswood Library on The Concourse will host a free Lego Robotics Workshop for children aged 8 - 14 years, 4pm - 5.30pm on Monday 5 June. This interactive workshop is designed to show kids how robots really work and will even get the chance to control their own robot! Spaces are limited and bookings are essential via willoughby.nsw.gov.au.
There is also a Steam Punk Space Ship Lantern Making activity in The Concourse Art Space (next to the Box Office) every evening from Monday 29 May to Sunday 11 June, 5.30pm - 8.30pm. Kids can create and colour their own lantern that will be added to a communal the light installation that will continue to grow for all to see during Vivid. Lanterns can be collected and taken home on the final weekend of Vivid Chatswood.
Nightime installations feature heavily on interactivity to entertain and excite kids and adults alike.
- Gear Shift at Chatswood Interchange, on the Level 3 footbridge is a space where kids can control a steam-powered machine with their movements.
- Crossword in Chatswood Mall will see attendees become part of the installation as hidden messages appear on revellers.
- Octopoda - Hanging above Hawker Lane, Westfield Chatswood the Octopoda invites attendees to play its eight tentacle drums. As each drum is played a unique display of colour and light explodes out of the drum animating the Octopoda’s musical mind. When all eight drums are played at once the whole Octopoda comes to life, dazzling audiences.
- Future City, Smart City - The sails of The Concourse will be home to a fantastic story the whole family can sit back and enjoy. Images and sound will transport you into the realm of Future City, Smart City where people have taken to the air to create a sustainable community.
Vivid Sydney at Chatswood’s night time installations are located in the centre of Chatswood CBD, from Chatswood Interchange and along Victoria Avenue to The Concourse. The installations in the precinct are positioned close together making it an ideal light walk for children. There’s also plenty of space for those bringing a stroller. Families are also encouraged to attend Monday through to Wednesday, when crowds are at their lowest.
Getting around the Chatswood Precinct with kids is easy, says Willoughby Mayor Gail Giles-Gidney.
“We have developed a reputation for being a family-friendly precinct, with special daytime installations for our youngest festival goers and a light walk that is fully accessible for prams and wheelchairs,” said Mayor Gail.
The Chatswood Interchange is home to both trains and buses, and this is the best place to start your experience. There’s also plenty of parking at Chatswood Chase Sydney, Westfield Chatswood, The Concourse and Albert Avenue Car Parks.
While in the Precinct, parents can access Parents Rooms in Chatswood Westfield on level 3 near Dollar King, enter off Anderson St, and baby change facilities at The Concourse on ground floor next to the box office, and at Chatswood Interchange in the disabled toilets.
Visitors are encouraged to stay a while to enjoy great shopping, dining and market stalls on offer as you wander through the Chatswood CBD. Popular spots to attend with the family include:
- The District - Chatswood Interchange: enjoy dinner dessert or both with 13 different dining choices and loads of space for the whole family. Open to 11pm daily.
- Hawker Lane – Westfield Chatswood: offering 15 unique Asian dining retailers in the one location, Hawker Lane will be alive with entertainment and authentic Asian cuisine. Pram access to Hawker Lane is via the elevator on Victoria Avenue or via in-centre.
- Anderson St – Westfield Chatswood: Stop by for special offers and entertainment and enjoy a variety of cuisines including gourmet burgers, juicy ribs, finger-licking chicken, delicious dumplings and mouth-watering Lebanese delights.
- The Concourse: view the feature installation of Vivid Sydney at Chatswood, Future City, Smart City, while you dine at one of the many restaurants at The Concourse restaurants.
About Vivid Sydney at Chatswood
The buildings, streets and laneways of Chatswood will be reinvented as a funky, retro-futuristic smart city as technology and light fuse with 19th Century steam-powered machinery during Vivid Sydney at Chatswood from 26 May to 17 June.
Vivid Sydney, the world’s largest festival of light, music and ideas, will transform the Chatswood CBD for the third year in a row, with steam punk inspired light shows and interactive installations.
As they exit Chatswood Interchange, visitors to Chatswood will be transported into a three-dimensional lightshow as more than 9,000 LED light spheres glow above in Voxelscape and a pumping, people powered steam engine is created with interactive projection in Gear Shift. Continue travelling through a glowing, glimmering canopy of light in Chatswood Mall to find Crossword an installation sending a cross fire of hidden messages mid-air and onto revellers. Hanging above Hawker Lane, The Octopoda, invites audiences to become part of his tentacle percussion ensemble.
As the centre piece of Vivid Sydney at Chatswood, the façade of The Concourse will host the feature projection, Future City Smart City. Watch as people take to the air in whimsical dirigibles and an airborne, sustainable community emerges. On returning to earth, peer into the reflection pool to discover the submerged magic of Steampunk Waterworld which pays homage to the likes of Jules Verne through light, sound and special effects. Light Bounce, a special day time installation for at Chatswood Chase Sydney encourages visitors to wander through a sparkling forest of refractive light.
Vivid Sydney at Chatswood is run by Willoughby City Council and supported by Precinct Contributors Chatswood Chase Sydney, Chatswood Interchange and Westfield Chatswood. Vivid Sydney at Chatswood is presented as part of Vivid Sydney, which is owned, managed and produced by Destination NSW, the NSW Government’s major events and tourism agency. The Chatswood precinct is created by The Electric Canvas and Amigo & Amigo.
Vivid Sydney at Chatswood is on every evening from 5.30pm - 10.30pm, 26 May to 17 June. Light Bounce at Chatswood Chase Sydney will operate from 9.30am - 5.30pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; 9.30am - 9pm on Thursdays; and 9am - 5pm on Weekends.
Acting Marketing and Events Manager
Phone: 9777 7703
Mobile: 0455 061 700
For non media related enquiries contact Willoughby City Council on 9777 1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org