2017 Media Releases
Construction begins on Gore Hill Park redevelopment
21 November 2017
Federal Member for North Sydney, Trent Zimmerman MP and Willoughby Mayor Gail Giles-Gidney turned the sod to mark the start of construction of the Gore Hill Park redevelopment – a major regional sport and recreation hub for the lower North Shore.
The initial $10.5 million stage, jointly funded by a Commonwealth Government Grant and Willoughby Council will include:
- Re-aligning the existing oval and installing a synthetic playing surface with cricket wicket
- The construction of a regional playground, associated outdoor ball courts and outdoor gym
- The construction of a perimeter walking track
- Public domain works to facilitate access and public spaces
- The installation of an on-site storm water detention system
- The construction of a modular building including pavilion, change rooms and toilet facilities
- Upgrading and re-aligning the Southern car park.
Willoughby Mayor Gail Giles-Gidney said the redevelopment will provide a greater range of much needed active and passive recreational opportunities at Gore Hill Park, while at the same time, creating a park and playground for use by local residents, workers, visitors to the hospital and the wider community.
"What’s great about the redevelopment of Gore Hill Park is that it will meet the needs, and cater for so many different community members. It will provide a range of quality and accessible community sports facilities, as well as leisure and recreation spaces that promote the health and wellbeing of the Willoughby community and beyond," Mayor Gail said.
“I am delighted that the Turnbull Government is providing $9.5 million towards the Gore Hill Park project. This will ensure access to recreational facilities for our local community including an all-weather synthetic field, playground, outdoor courts and gym as well as walking tracks,” said Federal Member for North Sydney, Trent Zimmerman MP.
Stage 1 is expected to be complete by the end of 2018. A latter stage will be funded by a Voluntary Planning Agreement associated with the development of the nearby Gore Hill Technology Park.
Acting Marketing and Events Manager
Phone: 9777 7703
Mobile: 0455 061 700
For non media related enquiries contact Willoughby City Council on 9777 1000 or email@example.com