2016 Media Releases
Vivid Sydney at Chatswood - Getting There – Plan Your Visit
19 May 2016
Locals and visitors are being encouraged to use public transport to visit Vivid Sydney, the world’s largest festival of light, music and ideas, when it comes to Chatswood from 27 May - 13 June.
During Vivid Sydney, the Chatswood CBD will be transformed into ‘WildLight – The Bio-Kinetic City’, an amazing collection of engaging installations and activities inspired by the fascinating creatures of Gondwana.
A variety of other transport options, including accessible tours and parking are also available. The combination of options seeks to enhance the visitor experience, allow ease of access to the Chatswood CBD and ensure the event is as sustainable as possible.
Public Transport – Bus and Train
The Chatswood Interchange has both trains and buses travelling in and out of Chatswood, and is the best place to start your Vivid Sydney at Chatswood experience. Visitors to Chatswood will take a technology-led journey into the past – stepping off the train at Chatswood Interchange into a world of projection, lighting effects and fantastic avian creatures before continuing on to Chastwood Mall, Westfield Chatswood, and The Concourse. The Interchange is also a short walk from Chatswood Chase Sydney, where the Luminarium will entertain children by day.
- By Train - The T1 North Shore & Northern Line has regular services to the city, and Hornsby via Macquarie University. Services run at regular intervals until after midnight including Sundays. Please check http://www.transportnsw.info/ for Trackwork and plan ahead.
- By Bus - Due to road closures, a number of services that normally travel down Victoria Avenue will be diverted from 7pm - 10.30pm on Thursdays and Fridays, and 5pm - 10.30pm on Saturdays and Sunday 12 June. Signage will be installed at all affected stops directing you to the nearest alternative. For detailed public transport information visit vividsydney.com/transport or phone 131 500.
Road closures and Clearways
Road closures will take place in the Chatswood CBD during the event. Roads will be closed at various times between 5pm - 10.30pm on weekdays and weekends including the public holiday on Monday 13 June. The festival’s busiest nights are expected to be Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and every night of the June long weekend.
Special Event Clearways will also be in place to provide additional safe event space and help facilitate the bus detour routes which are being put in place as a result of Victoria Avenue road closure. For detailed information on road closures and clearways visit vividsydney.com/transport
The Vivid Sydney at Chatswood light walk is fully accessible for wheelchairs and prams. Monday to Thursday nights are generally less busy and visitors with access requirements are encouraged to plan their visit earlier in the week.
Assisted Tour Experience - Don’t miss your chance to see Vivid Sydney at Chatswood on a specially designed accessible tour for seniors and people with poor mobility. Join the accessible tour for a light supper, and tour of the Chatswood CBD via organised transport and slow walk.
- Tuesday 31 May and Tuesday 7 June
- Pick up from your home from 5pm onwards
- Cost: $5 per person
- Bookings are essential on 9777 7824 or Debi.Rose@Willoughby.nsw.gov.au
If travelling by car, the best places to park are Chatswood Chase, Westfield Chatswood, The Concourse and Albert Avenue car parks. Traffic may be heavy so allow plenty of extra travel time.
For more information on transport options, tours and road closures during Vivid Sydney at Chatswood, visit vividsydney.com/transport or visitchatswood.com.au for detailed traffic and walking maps.
Acting Marketing and Events Manager
Phone: 9777 7703
Mobile: 0455 061 700
For non media related enquiries contact Willoughby City Council on 9777 1000 or email@example.com