Role of Councillors
(1) The role of a councillor is, as a member of the governing body of the council:
• to provide a civic leadership role in guiding the development of the community strategic plan for the area and to be responsible for monitoring the implementation of the council’s delivery program
• to direct and control the affairs of the council in accordance with this Act
• to participate in the optimum allocation of the council’s resources for the benefit of the area
• to play a key role in the creation and review of the council’s policies and objectives and criteria relating to the exercise of the council’s regulatory functions
• to review the performance of the council and its delivery of services, and the delivery program and revenue policies of the council.
(2) The role of a councillor is, as an elected person:
• to represent the interests of the residents and ratepayers
• to provide leadership and guidance to the community
• to facilitate communication between the community and the council.