We will ensure that every complaint is received courteously before being investigated and acted on quickly and appropriately.

If your complaint is about graffiti, refer to our page on graffiti removal

Making a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint, you may lodge it in writing, over the phone, or in person.

In writing

Post to: Willoughby City Council, PO Box 57, Chatswood, NSW, 2057

By phone

Phone  02 9777 1000, between 8.30am and 5pm weekdays

In person

Visit our Help & Service Centre, Level 4, 31 Victor Street, Chatswood, between 8.30am and 5pm weekdays. 

Include these details in your complaint

Your complaint should include your name, address and telephone number, as well as a detailed description of your complaint. Anonymous complaints will not be investigated. You may, however, opt for your name and personal details to remain confidential. 

Complaints process

When a complaint is received it is forwarded to the Public Officer who will co-ordinate the investigation and response. It will be recorded in a Complaints Register, and an acknowledgement letter detailing what procedures will be following shall be sent. You should receive the acknowledgement letter in two days.

The complaint will then be sent to the appropriate Unit Manager, Director, General Manager or Mayor for investigation. Serious complaints will be copied to the General Manager immediately.

  • Complaints involving corruption or Pecuniary/Conflict of Interest will be referred to the General Manager.
  • Complaints relating to Councillors will be referred to the General Manager who will consult with the Mayor.
  • Complaints against the General Manager will be sent to the Mayor.
  • Complaints relating to Competitive Neutrality will be referred to the Customer and Corporate Director. They will also be reported in Council’s Annual Report.

The person responsible for the investigation will research the circumstances of the complaint, interview staff if necessary, and prepare a report for the Public Officer including:

  • A statement of legitimacy of the complaint
  • A recommendation for action
  • If appropriate, a suggested remedy to prevent similar future complaints.

This investigation will take five days.

The Public Officer will then prepare a response to the complaint based on the findings of the investigation. This will be completed in ten days.

Any instance of corrupt conduct should be referred to the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC).

If you feel that you are not satisfied with the action taken as a result of your complaint, or your complaint is extremely serious, you can refer your complaint to the:

The information on this page has been taken from Council’s Policy on Complaints Handling.