Application for Community Representatives on Willoughby Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel (IHAP)
Posted: Thursday, 2 November 2017
The NSW Government recently passed legislation requiring Council’s to establish Independent Hearing and Assessment Panels (IHAPs) to determine planning applications for certain development. In accordance with this legislation Willoughby Council is setting up an IHAP and is seeking nominations for community representatives to sit on the panel. The IHAP will consist of three independent experts and community representatives. The role of a community representative is a three year part-time role starting in March 2018.
Community representatives on the panel will be required to contribute constructively to panel discussions, attend regular meetings and help determine applications for new developments in Willoughby. They should have a good understanding of planning legislation, an ability to read and conceptualise architectural plans and be able to communicate complex technical matters in a clear and concise manner.
The IHAP will be the determining authority for:
- Applications with cost of works between $5million and $30million (more than $30million determined by Sydney North Planning Panel)
- Applications for which the applicant or owner is Council, a Councillor or their family, Council staff, or a State or Federal member of Parliament
- Applications that receive 10 or more objections
- Applications involving Voluntary Planning Agreements
- Applications exceeding a development standard by more than 10%
- Development applications associated with a high risk of corruption
- Modification applications that meet the above criteria
It is anticipated that meetings will occur between one or two times per month and will be in the order of 2-3 hours duration with additional time required to read reports and site inspection. The Community representative positions on the IHAP will be paid in accordance with rates to be set by the NSW Government the details of which are yet to be provided.
Property developers, real estate agents and current Councillors are not eligible to apply.
More information about IHAPs can be found at planning.nsw.gov.au.
If you would like to apply, download the Nomination Form or contact Ritu Shankar on 02 9777 1000 for more information.
Email your nomination form and supporting letter to email@example.com or mail to The General Manager, IHAP Nomination, Willoughby City Council, PO Box 57, Chatswood NSW 2057.
Applications close on 4 December 2017.
>> View all announcements