Noxious Weeds

Senna flowersWhat is a noxious weed?

Weeds can be declared noxious if they affect human health, pose a threat to agriculture, the environment or the community, and have the potential to spread.

By law, it is the responsibility of the owner and/or occupier to control noxious weeds on private land. 

The Department of Primary Industries website has information about declared noxious weeds in the Willoughby City Council area.

What should I do if I have a noxious weed, or my neighbour does?

If the weeds are on your neighbour's property, talk to your neighbour about how the weed is affecting the environment and how they can manage or remove it.

What if my neighbour ignores their weeds?

If you’ve alerted your neighbour to the problem and they haven't taken action, you can phone Council’s Environment Unit on 9777 1000 for help. Council will inspect the weed and discuss the best method for control or removal with the resident. Council may write to them advising them of their obligations under the Biosecurity Act 2015 (Noxious Weeds Act 1993 repealed).

As a last resort, Council may issue a notice to control or remove a weed. The Biosecurity Act 2015 gives Council the authority to issue penalties to land holders who don’t make the appropriate efforts to control noxious weeds.

Council will not act as a dispute resolution service. This service is available from the Community Justice Centres